Thursday, February 16, 2006

Well I did it and survived.
Last night I went out to a restaurant in Susukino with some work colleagues. It's one that I've noticed many times as it has a slightly murky tank of squid outside, but it turned out to be a lot bigger and better than I had expected. I actually didn't detest the squid this time, and ate most of my ika-somen (raw squid prepared in thin strips, in the style of noodles) before realising that maybe I was eating one of the poor beasts from the murky tank and stopped out of pity.
After a few dishes, our Japanese companions decided to order fugu-zangi: Hokkaido dialect for "fugu" (the infamous toxic blowfish) cooked fried chicken style. I always told myself I'd never dare to try this potentially lethal delicacy, but last night I didn't really have a choice...and anyway, we all know that people only die when they try and prepare the fish themselves, or eat the highly toxic liver, so it's bound to be OK, right?
I gingerly nibbled at my piece, which tasted like a fairly bland fishfinger. Of course, I couldn't concentrate on much else but my potential impending demise, but tried my best...
A few minutes later I was sure that I started feeling a little dizzy and weird, and I also became convinced that one of the waitresses kept shooting concerned looks in my direction...was this the end? I decided that maybe I could fight off the toxins through sheer will power, and cheerfully ordered another beer. A couple of minutes later I felt fine. It's amazing what will power can do!

Comments:
...or another beer!

:D
 
Yair, good on you for trying the blowfish! Well hardcore! BTW, have you seen the episode of the Simpsons where Homer eats the blowfish? Rob
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]